Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ahhsleep At Last


SIGH... It is post-bedtime and I can breathe again. The critters have given us a run for our money lately. I wish someone would just tell them we don't have any money, so we can all stop running!

Our oldest is experimenting life as the hearing-impaired. He walks about as if our mouths are moving but he just can't seem to hear what it is we've said. Then again, after an infringement of the rule, he can repeat the verbal exhortation verbatim. So, maybe it's he's researching life as the mentally-impaired. He can hear, but the words get crossed somewhere along the way. Or maybe he wants his momma to BE mentally impaired becauseimabouttogocrazyandhavetogoliveinsidepaddedwalls! {deep breathe} ... sorry.

Anyway, the youngest is practicing his speech. So he's taken to repeating our commands - but with a 'twist'. Example: "Go sit on the couch." Repeated as "Sit on COUCH Mommyy!" "You may not speak to Mommy that way." Repeated, "That WAY, Mommyyy!" He also seems to be using rhythm to aid his learning process. Upon hearing an unappreciated phrase, he rhythmically walks away, taking one step then a stomp, a step and a stomp. If that doesn't quite move him, he'll play a little 'ditty' on the wall, or another nearby object (including a live 3-yr-old) - smack-smack-smack! If he's really feeling the beat, he'll add a defiant "mhm mhm MHM!" But if he hears something that is so bad, so offensive, so SHOCKING, he can't bring himself to utter it himself [such as "No, you may not have fruit snacks right now"], he digs deep in his bag of words and lets out a big "Wat inna werrrrlld?!" Again, I sigh...

You may think I'm typing this thinking it's all just so cute and ok. I assure you I am not. Although, I must admit, sometimes their antics are downright hilarious. But I don't laugh in front of them. I am firm and consistent and I try different approaches. They are just as relentless. So, some days this Momma just has to SIGH...

TTFN folks!

2 comments:

Ivori's Husband said...

i was laughing until your last paragraph. then i totally realized that it was not funny. at all. whatsoever.


i'm gonna go now. and not so i can go laugh.

Mama B said...

go ahead and laugh. they do. sometimes, when the baby is in trouble, he turns his head and fights back his smile as he tries to hold in his laugh and listen to his scolding.